1. What is your favorite movie starring William Powell and Myrna Loy, excluding all of The Thin Man films? I haven't seen anything else that they've done together except the Thin Man series. I had Manhattan Melodrama recorded but it got erased before I got around to watching it.
2. Name a screen team that appeared in only one film together but are still noteworthy for how well they complimented each other. Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable.
|Photo courtesy vivandlarry.com|
3. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers’ best film together? Which is the one where he sings "The Way you Look Tonight"? I think it's Shall We Dance.
4. Your favorite actor named “Robert?” Robert De Niro is pretty badass. Robert Mitchum is totally cool too.
5. An actor/actress who, when you see one of their movies, you always wish that someone else was in his/her role? Scarlett Johansen.
6. An actor/actress that someone close to you really loves that you can’t stand or vice versa? I'm not sure that we really disagree on much acting wise.
7. An actor/actress that you both agree on completely? Katharine Hepburn for sure. We both worship her.
8. Complete this sentence: Virginia O’Brien is to Ethel Merman as Scarlett Johansen is to Bette Davis.
9. What is your favorite film starring Ray Milland? I don't think I've actually watched a Ray Miland movie, but I do have Dial M For Murder on my DVR, and my friend still has yet to bring The Lost Weekend over.
10. You had to have seen this one coming: what is your favorite movie of the 1960s? Only one?!
There's so many! I'll go with My Fair Lady- Audrey Hepburn is divine in it.
11. An actor/actress that you would take out of one film and put into a different movie that was released the same year? Good question. I'm not sure. Maybe I'd take Vivien Leigh out of Anna Karenina and have her play Ophelia in Larry's Hamlet. Though I really do like Jean Simmons quite a lot in that film.
12. Who was your favorite of Robert Montgomery’s leading ladies? Not sure.
13. You think it would have been a disaster if what movie starred the actor/actress who was originally asked to star in it? If Paulette Goddard had played Scarlett O"Hara.
14. An actor/actress who you will watch in any or almost any movie? Bette Davis.
15. Your favorite Leslie Howard film and role? I think he's quite good in Of Human Bondage.
16. You have been asked to host a marathon of four Barbara Stanwyck films. Which ones do you choose? Double Indemnity, Meet John Doe, Ball of Fire, and Baby Face.
17. What is, in your mind, the nearest to perfect comedy you have ever seen? Why? Annie Hall, because it broke all the rules of romantic comedy.
18. You will brook no criticism of what film? The Wizard of Oz.
19. Who is your favorite Irish actress? Greer Garson. Okay, maybe she's not Irish Irish, but she was of Irish descent, so she still counts, right?
20. Your favorite 1940s movie starring Ginger Rogers? Is it wrong that I don't really care for Ginger Rogers unless she's dancing with Fred Astaire?
21. Do you enjoy silent movies? Oh yes. Nosferatu was great, Chaplin's silents are beautiful, and Greta Garbo is just amazing. Lon Chaney's horror films are great too.
22. What is your favorite Bette Davis film? All About Eve, for sure, followed closely by What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
23. Your favorite onscreen Hollywood couple? I quite like Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn a lot.
24. This one is for the girls, but, of course, the guys are welcome to answer, too: who is your favorite Hollywood costume designer? A lot really. Adrien, Irene, Edith Head, Givenchy.
25. To even things out a bit, here’s something the boys will enjoy: what is your favorite tough action film? Planet Terror!
|The machine gun leg is so badass!|
26. You are currently gaining a greater appreciation for which actor(s)/actress(es)? Steve Buschemi. I love his versatility.
27. Franchot Tone: yes or no? Nein, nein, nein, nein, nein nein! (Inglourious Basterds, anyone?)
28. Which actors and/or actresses do you think are underrated? Natalie Wood.
29. Which actors and/or actresses do you think are overrated? There's only a few Joan Crawford films I care for. Norma Shearer as well.
30. Favorite actor? Laurence Olivier.
|image courtesy vivandlarry.com|
32. Of those listed, who is the coolest: Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Steve McQueen, or Patrick Stewart? Seriously? This isn't even a contest. Paul Newman!
33. What is your favorite movie from each of these genres:
Comedy: Bringing up Baby
Swashbuckler: The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
Film noir: Sunset Boulevard
Musical: Way too many to choose just one.
Holiday: It's a Wonderful Life